Customer Ref: PTN089
Our client who is an iconic luxury sports car manufacturer, is currently recruiting for the following role:
The purpose of the job is to lead, manage and develop the engine dynamic systems group to define and design concepts, and establish system design specifications, to deliver validated engine products into production within the product development process framework.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Role Function: Lead, manage and develop the engine dynamic systems group to define and design concepts, and establish system design specifications, to deliver validated engine products into production within the product development process framework. Provide technical direction using comprehensive engineering experience. Seek and evaluate new technology and engage the group in advanced engineering opportunities commensurate with cycle planning.
• Functional Scope: Engine Dynamic Systems include: cranktrain, valvetrain, FEAD, lubrication and base engine cooling. The group function includes: design, component engineering and product delivery. The function will work in conjunction with engine development, calibration and simulation groups.
• Technology/Benchmarking: Steer the engine dynamic systems group to acquire and evaluate industry, competitor and emerging technology information compatible with project targets and advanced engineering direction to ensure modular component platform readiness to support product cycle planning.
• Knowledge & Methodology: Be responsible for engines IPR related to dynamic systems. Protect and enhance knowledge, including patent registrations, research collaborations, engineering guidelines and standards. Enforce assurance measures, within the engines group, that engine product development projects avoid IPR and legislation infringement.
• Resource Planning: Evaluate resource requirements to support engine projects and advanced engineering activity, ensuring capacity and capability. Implement best practices. Recruit, realign and provide training to fill resource voids.
• Programmes: Guide the design and system engineers to plan and deliver systems within the Mission system framework. Validate and ensure consistency of sub-system commodity plans across all programmes ensuring sufficient funding to deliver. Guide the group to work with the engine project managers to track project progress across all dynamic engine systems, highlighting areas of risk and opportunity and resolve conflicts accordingly.
• Quality: Promote and optimise engineering and quality systems (DFMEAs, Robustness Studies, QHR) to ensure process readiness and guide design and system engineers deployment to prevent, identify and resolve potential quality concerns during product design and development.
• Cost: Steer design and system engineers to furnish project managers in definition of programme cost targets, working with component suppliers to deliver systems that achieve project targets (Tooling, Engineering and Piece).
• Weight: Steer design and system engineers in definition of programme weight targets and guide the design process to ensure target achievement.
• Package: Guide design and system engineers in compliance of engine and vehicle package targets and support the project manager to arbitrate mutually acceptable solutions.
• Assembly: Steer design and system engineers to ensure that engine components and units can be assembled into engines and vehicles repeatedly in conformance to manufacturing engineering feasibility.
• Change Management: Validate and approve engine component Engineering Release Notification submissions. Arbitrate the resolution to any releasing issues that prevent completion within planned timing.
• FMA & Issue Resolution: Promote and provide best practice knowledge and appropriate problem solving tools (8D, 5Ys, 6Sigma) and empower the system group to utilise guided processes and reporting methods. Ensure comprehensive and robust use of the eCMS to raise, track and resolve engineering concerns.
• FDJ (final data judgement): Guide the system leaders throughout the design and analysis phases to ensure that each project FDJ checkpoint is successfully approved.
• FEC (final engineering completion): Guide the system leaders throughout the development and testing phases to ensure that each project FEC checkpoint is successfully approved with appropriate documentation.
Qualification & Experience:
• Educated to degree level or higher in a relevant engineering discipline
• Expected to demonstrate technical expertise of base engine dynamic systems
• Affiliation with professional engineering organisations and/or academic establishments
• Previous delivery of engine components and systems, and powertrain units into production using a product development process framework
• Experience in research or advanced engineering.
• Engine system or sub-system design and development experience.
• Operating as a leader within an engineering product development team.
• Managing sub-ordinates functionally and operationally.
• Knowledge of patent application processes and searches
• Experience working within academic or consultancy collaborations
• Define and challenge budgets for the engine systems and resolve conflicts.
• Fluent presenter of technical information to peers, senior management and externally.
• Experienced writer of technical and project reports.
• Competent user of TCe (TeamCentre Engineering) and Visualization Mockup.
• Accomplished in GD&T disciplines
• Experience as CAD user (NX advantageous)
• Knowledge of CAE simulation disciplines (Stress Analysis, Fatigue, 1D, 3D CFD, Multi Body)
• High level of knowledge for FMA processes (DFMEA, DVP, QHR)
• Accomplished user of Engineering Standards and innovator of Design Guidelines
• Proficient in office software (Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project)
• Office based with engineering support for prototype workshop and production line as required.
• Visits to suppliers’ facilities / testing locations (UK and worldwide) or the engine manufacturing plant.
• Driving licence and medical clearance to use high speed tracks and hot and cold environmental chambers if required to support development activities.
The services advertised by Premea Limited for this vacancy are those of an Employment Agency.